What Brings You Peace?
Shouting. Laughing. Singing. Stomping. Praising. These are a few instantaneous thoughts when I think about Sunday mornings. One of the best parts of my week is going to church. Not only to hear what the Reverend has to say, but to be in the presence of my fellow church members. When I walk into the church, there is an immediate sense of peace that calms my mind. It’s probably the people that pass by me with smiles on their faces. Or, it could be the soft music playing as I walk to find a seat in the sanctuary. It could also be the stained glass of the different scenes from the Bible, and of people that have sacrificed for me to have a better life. The glass is all different colors, with images people that look like they are from all over the world. There have to be over one hundred different stories on the glass. As I sit down in my usual section on the second floor balcony of the sanctuary, I look down and see the candles that are burning right by the altar. I concentrate on the flame that is swaying back and forth. It could be that flame puts me at ease.
Throughout the week, so many incidents, good and bad, occur throughout the city of Chicago as well as the world that causes me a bit of stress and anxiety. However, on Sunday mornings, I am able to go to a place where everything seems positive. Everyone, from the greeters when I walk into church, to the little old lady wearing her heels and large hat is so cheerful. The greeters stand right at the doors of the church, and hand me my bulletin when I walk in. They always greet me with a “hello”, “good morning”, “god bless you”, or how are you”. I enjoy this from the greeters as I walk in, because there are not too many places that I go throughout the week that have people standing at the door with kind words. Automatically, I am at home. There is always one woman, every Sunday, who sits behind the desk in the lobby of the church with white gloves and a smile. I never knew her name until one day I walked up to her and asked her what her job at the church was. She responded in a voice that I would never forget, “to make you feel at home, hunny”. From then on I knew the church was the place for me.
There are nothing but smiles, and hello’s everywhere I turn. I feel it is the best atmosphere for me to be in, especially right now. At this time, I am on my own, and trying to grow into a responsible adult. It is extremely easy to get caught up in foolish activities, especially in college. So when I attend church, it brings me back to what is really significant in life, and what I am here to do. It is always important to meet someone on Sundays. So when the pastor tells everyone to shake hands, and introduce themselves to the people around them, this is always easy for me. Myself and the other person shake hands, and exchange a few words. Then I do the same with about three other people. This is a good exercise for me as well with introducing myself to other people, and becoming comfortable with it.
More interesting than the church members, is the choir. There are over one hundred and fifty members in the choir every week. This is important in such a large congregation, because they need to be able to get everyone excited, and out of their seats. Every song whether, fast or slow, is so much fun. The choir director does a fantastic job with them. With every song selection, it always seems as if they are singing right to me. This is kind of like the reverend when he preaches, but in a musical way. From the man with the low baritone, to the woman with the high soprano voice, everyone in the choir touches me. Their voices touch me in a way that puts my mind at ease, and allows me to clear my thoughts. This is important for me to do when I attend church, especially when I have a million and one things always on my mind.
A few years ago, outside of the church after a service would have been a madhouse. A president-elect, and former member of the church would cause the church to be scrutinized in ways no one except for its members could image. I remember being in church and listening to pastor mention that the church had received bomb threats. I will never forget the hollers, and shouts from the people in the service of over one thousand people. I will never forget the looks on people faces sitting near me. Some stared with looks of fear, and others with anger in their eyes. I don’t know what face I had on at that moment. It was probably a look of confusion. Sitting next to my grandfather I looked at him hoping what the pastor was saying was not true. Hoping that I did not comprehend it right. Hoping and waiting for him to give me some kind of facial expression that would say its alright, but he didn’t. Instead he kept his eyes focused on the pastor. All of these incidents made me think of one thing, and that was how strong our congregation was. No matter what was said or happened no one did anything irrational or absurd; and to me that is where I get my inner peace.
I remember walking in late one Sunday after the service had started, or maybe I was going to the bathroom during service? I can’t recall. However, there was a man walking in the lobby of the sanctuary with a top hat, and a long trench coat on. He looked more out of place than ever, because for one everyone knows hats are not allowed in churches. It was a news reporter. I guess they are not to be allowed in church because within seconds he was escorted off of the premises by security. These types of incidents went on for weeks. It didn’t get better quickly, but it eventually did. Thorough out all of these incidents I was able to see first hand what the word “peace” really is and what a “peaceful” environment is as well. These words are not just something that is “soothing”, or holding up two fingers. It is how calm you are when you are put to the test. When something could be forcing you to become stressed, or maybe give in to a fight, how do you hold your ground? I held mine by remembering that staying clam is better than becoming flustered in any situation.
In this I personally learned two things, unity and how the media works. The first lesson I learned was how important it is to stick together in each other’s time of need. It was a great lesson in how in order to prevail, there has to be unity, and everyone has to work together and be strong. I also learned how nasty the media could be. I saw first hand how manipulative they could be, and sadly how much power over people they had. Knowing that I was going into some aspect of the media industry, it became evident then that whatever it was that these journalists were doing, I wanted no part of.
For me church has been an interesting place for me to learn and grow. I learned things from here that my schools weren’t allowed to teach me. I learned life lessons, as well as biblical lessons. I’ve met all types of different people from different walks of life. I’ve found a place myself that I know I can come to if I need a boost of positive energy. For me this has become a sort of outlet if I ever needed it. From church, I really know and understand what peace really is. From this, I now know more about myself. I am appreciative that I have been exposed to a church atmosphere where I am allowed to express myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment